Path 101, the company I started with our CTO and Co-Founder, Alex Lines, is looking to hire a developer.
Over and above anything else, here's the kind of person we want:
- Someone with a sense of ownership and pride in their work. We get that nothing can ever be perfect, but you need to constantly strive to make things better. This means not only making stuff works, but that it's easy to use and makes sense--and that you try to make it easier to use and more interesting everyday.
- You see the bigger picture--you realize that there are really exciting things to work on and then there's bug fixing--but at the end of the day you're happy we're moving forward as a team, as a company, and as a product.
- You really hate when stuff breaks or it sucks and it keeps you up at night.
- You're friendly and/or interesting and are just cool to hangout with--not too uptight to break for a snowball fight in the park or to randomly pass funny images to the rest of the team on chat.
As for the tech stuff, an intelligent, curious, ambitious person can learn anything, that's true, but ideally you'd be an intelligent, curious, ambitious person AND be as much of the following as possible:
- experienced web developer
- very strong understanding of python
- extensive experience with django - you know its strengths and
weaknesses, its ecosystem of libraries and components, participate in
django community <-- This is ideal, but if you're strong in python, let's chat.
- obsessed with performance
- you can talk for hours about caching <--Alex's criteria, not mine. Don't talk to me about caching... ever.
- experience with mysql
- know how to properly normalize a data model as well as the costs and
benefits of denormalization
- strong unix/linux background
- familiarity with column-oriented / key-value stores is a plus
We'll accept a resume but prefer a link to your blog and linkedin profile.
Here are some things you might what to know about us:
- We're helping people figure out their careers. While this might not be feeding the poor, helping someone figure out what they want to do that makes them happy can really make a significant impact in someone's life.
- We're doing it in an innovative way--by crawling the web for resumes and laying on interesting user data, like personality, blogs, tags, anything you want to tell us about yourself--in order to figure out what everyone's really doing with their careers. This way, we can help you put your career in a context and figure out what "people like me" do for a living. There are around 10 million resumes out there and we're going to crawl every last one of them.
- We're funded by some seriously smart and successful angels like Roger Ehrenberg, Fred Wilson, Brad Burnham, Scott Heiferman, Jeff Jarvis, Hunter Walk, Jeff Stewart, Peter Hershberg, Joshua Stylman, Brian Harniman, Shripriya Mahesh, and others...
- We were the first company to ever get an investment by the recently launched NYC Seed fund.
- We're really passionate and dedicated to what we're doing.
- Team: Charlie (@ceonyc), Alex (@alexlines), and Hilary (@hmason), as well as some super awesome contract folks.
So, tweet @ us, e-mail us, or leave a comment. But please, no recruiters. We can't afford a recruiter, so there's really just no point to reaching out. We're really serious. Really. Serious.